Saturday, May 17, 2008

... The THREE 'F's

Family ... Fun ... Food!


This is an overdue post, but I can't let Mother's Day 2008 pass without a 'nod'!

Last Saturday, at sunrise (6am), I embarked on a day trip (100 mile journey each way) to my hometown, for 'MOM's Day'. My Mom will be 75 this Fall, and thus there isn't a whole lot she 'needs' or has room for (yes, I inherited several 'pack rat' genes from her!!) . For Mom's Day the last couple of years we have enjoyed a whole day of just 'us' on Saturday (NOT on 'THE' Day - I can't take her away from her other offspring!!). Of course she gets a few 'wrapped' goodies from DH & I (yes. mostly thrifted!), and lunch at a spot of her choice - the rest of the day is completely spontaneous!

This year, the weather cooperated Beautifully! Sunny and 70deg . I arrived about 8:30am. Visited with Dad, checked the garage sale ads, and we were off...

The finds were PLENTIFUL!! Wicker rocker, vintage quilt (ANOTHER!) , some old luggage (at 25¢ ea. I couldn't pass them by!)...



Eleven (11!) blow molds dated in the 60's and 70's (DON'T be SILLY - they ARE for resale!)...




A couple of APRIL CORNELL dresses - NOT my taste, but I have heard they resell well...


and NUMEROUS odds-ends (YES - even a VERA!)

A stop for nourishment at a new Tex BBQ that just opened - GREAT!!

More sales - Can you believe I got ALL of the goodies shown - PLUS MORE for $11 total?!?! Then a stop to a local farm market that was having a Quilt Show. I picked up an Astilbe plant that I had been searching for, ~AND~ they have a soft ice cream window... so Dessert time!!!




To justify the ice-cream, we went for a walk on the beach and did a little sea glass hunting - Serious score on the dark blue that day!!

Finished off the day with stops by each of my brother's houses to say 'HI' and a trip to my Parent's pond to feed the goldfish! Does it get much better?!

279 miles, and 14 hours later - back at my house - ready to fall into bed!...

Is it 'legal' for someone who IS NOT a 'Mom' to enjoy the day so much?!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, what a lovely day that must have been! I love the quilt, and the army of blow-molds cracks me up. :) The sea glass is so pretty!

Shara said...

I bought a blue traincase like that last week, but I really don't know why. I am a follower. Everyone else is buying them up, so I did too!

I agree with Heidi - Those Blow Molds are a crack-up!

Andy said...

LOVE that sea glass. I am so jealous.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous sea glass, and blow mold army is hysterical!