Thursday, February 3, 2011

...reality check...

... testing ... testing ... one ... two ... three ... testing...
Yep. This blog is still alive!
There is still life here in CNY - though barely... things are pretty much flat lining here. Even the weather! Though I'm not complaining about the fact that we have been dubbed 'THE BIGGEST LOSERS' over the fact that the storms missed our area, and all we got was a 'usual Winter's day' accumulation of about 3-4" w/ temps in the teens!(pair of coffee mugs by Guy Buffet)
Thrifting for the most part has been pretty non-existent ((yawn)). Estate and Rummage Sales ~ WHAT are those??
OH well, I've been trying to be productive catching up on a couple of years worth of scrapbooking (note 'trying' is the operative word here!!).
I have also been implementing a new 'Project Purge' for the Year 2011. In honor of the year, my goal is to purge '211' items each month. This can be in the form of selling, donating, tossing, consigning - whatever... just OUT OF THE HOUSE!! January was an easy success, let's see if I can continue!! It's kind of a Two-Part Goal that goes hand-in-hand. The second part of the goal, is to have a bag of 'stuff' in the Blazer for donation whenever I go out on a Thrifting adventure. No bag of stuff sorted and ready to go? Then I can't stop yet! (see, it kind of serves two - purposes!) WISH ME LUCK!! So far, so good...(Recent Thrift find - Stetson bowl)

With the lack of 'saling', I've been doing a LOT of de-stashing. This Stetson bowl purchase inspired me to pull out a bunch of plates and china that I've been procrastinating on. Similiar to the motivation that the purchase of the Pyrex was last week! So this week has been a LOT more listing!!
(Mid-Century Yugoslavia Enamel Paella Pans coming soon to an ETSY shop near you!)

With all of the listing I've been doing the last couple of weeks, it's made me take a hard look at selling vintage on e-bay and etsy... A 'Reality Check' of sorts...
  • weekend~early hours&hours to get the 'good stuff'
  • #miles~$gas
  • insane people~crazy work conditions (weather, animal remnants, decay bldg)
  • clean~research
  • write-up~photo
  • store~pack/box~collect $$~ship

ALL of this for how much return on your investment? As a college graduate, I think about how much I used to make an hour, sitting at a cushy desk job with full benefits - and how I MUST be out of my mind now - when I get excited over a $12 ETSY sale! Then, I remember how I used to hate getting up in the morning...

('Sic Kay The Other Mug...' ever hear of these??)

Hoping everyone is safe and warm, and has a BIG MUG of Hot Cocoa with their favorite addition - Peach Schnapps? Bailey's? Mini Marshmallows!?


OH! Almost forgot - did find a few 'goodies' for ME the other day at the Thrift!! Three leather belts (Levi brown, Italy black & No-name sage-green) - I've been in a serious 'belt' mode lately with all of my sweaters - and at .50¢ each for leather I couldn't go wrong! LOVE the great buckle on the Italian!! You can't really see it, but I also grabbed a black wool 'wrap'. It's like a H*U*G*E* fitted sweater~shawl. I have a plum one that I bought at VanHeusen a couple of years ago, and love wearing in the Fall. I found it in the 'scarf' bin for another .50¢!!

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

That mug is AMAZING. Looks like you had a great time thrifting :)

MomWaldsPlace said...

OOooh, great thrifting, great purging, and deep thoughts. What a great post, and I love the Stetson Bowl.