Tuesday, December 9, 2008

...we now interupt your regular scheduled program...

Saturday morning I was up bright (well, DARK here in the NE!!) and early, eagerly pulling MORE totes-o-holiday Stuff down from the attic (Brrrr!) and setting up our aluminum trees....



By 10 am, it had brightened outside - I almost think I caught a glimpse of the sun! It was frigid and windy, but clear and no snow!! DH and I decided that we couldn't waste what might be one of our last 'decent' days for a while - inside! So we went out venturing. I DETEST large, crowded malls this time of the year (especially on a SATURDAY!!) - so we toyed around with a few local small village options.



We ended up in Ithaca! NOT 'small', but a FUN - ARTSY college town (Cornell & Ithaca Colleges), set at the foot of the FingerLake Cayuga. We went 'downtown' to the Commons where we happened upon a children's show - complete with carolling, Rudolph and Elves repelling down the sides of the buildings!! A lot of window shopping... a few purchases... and a special treat of lunch at one of our favorites!



Our trip home was 'aimless wandering'... freezing water falls, a couple of thrifts and an INSIDE Estate Sale, where I found this......rather tame for a VERA, and 'blue' is NOT my thing, but for 25¢ it had to be added to my collection!




Yes, there were Tons of things I 'should' have been doing... but who can say 'No' to a SWEET day of pure enjoyment during the Holiday Chaos?!!


My 'early morning' decorating resulted in...The small Aluminum tree in our red/black kitchen was decked with the gold-toned 'Things Remembered' 'cheesy-tacky' ornaments I've been gathering and have graciously had gifted to me AND small red balls. The 'TR' ornament are too delicate though, and just kind of blend in with the aluminum branches. I tried positioning them near a red ornament - that helped... a little. I will have to rethink this plan for another year! Maybe a green (?!) or a darker colored tree... hmmm.



Next was the table top aluminum tree in the Dining room - you know, the one that gets the lime-orange-purple decorations...

The base of this tree is swathed in appropriately colored 'VERA'...


...and the little 'mirror mosaic' bird I found this summer was positioned on a Haeger perch!



This morning there was 'hint' of us possibly hosting a Christmas Happy Hr. this weekend. Just 'in-case' I better FINISH this decorating fun, and do a little cleaning!!!

3 comments:

Shara said...

It is 60 this morning, supposed to drop all day to 30, then storms followed by snow. So, of course, I am itching to leave the house and go somewhere while it is still 60!

I love you tabletop tree - I wish I could find one. I have a full sized one out in the shed, but I never set it up. The cats do like to eat the silver stuff.

I thought of you yesterday as I added our gold "TR" "Our First Christmas Ornament" to the tree. I know it's sentimental, but it is so tacky!

Anonymous said...

The Vera and those ornaments - fabulous!

Leanne Pizio said...

Love all the trees and ornaments. the Vera tree is wonderful with all the bright colors. Your house must be such a happy place to be! Have a happy Happy Hour!
Leanne