Wednesday, January 13, 2021

...SHE ZIGGED! SHE ZAGGED!





"Someday I'll get around to it"

"Someday, when I have the time"

Guess what Folks ~ 'MY TIME" is NOW!   In this time of isolation, there is NOTHING that I "should" be doing, other than staying home and COVID-Free!

Thanks to our recent 30day Min. Challenge, I have been doing a LOT of purging in our closet - including SWEATERS!  Oh, parting is such sweet sorrow when it comes to me and my sweaters...  but, even I had to admit that those stained, Overly-Loved specimens HAD.TO.GO!!

~BUT~
Then inspiration struck!

I remembered, back in the 90's, I had seen a television show that had spotlighted different 'up-cycle' projects in every episode.  One of their projects had been 'refashioning' old natural fiber sweaters by Felting them.  I was so taken by this idea, that I had actually sketched out a pullover hoodie that I.would.make!  I had bought some wool sweaters, felted... and that is where it ended.  Well, in the last 30yrs. that sketch and felted wool got discarded, but the desire remained.

NOW WAS MY TIME!


I felted my newly discarded wool/alpaca/cashmere sweaters.
I made a new sketch, more in keeping with my aging fashion taste...
Pulled out my recently thrifted Fiskar Rotary Cutter (OH wonderful tool ~ Where have you been all of my life??), and started measuring and cutting and measuring and pinning and measuring and...
Okay, so far so good.
Time to pull out the sewing machine!
J was SHOCKED (to put it mildly!)... "We have one of those?"  "YOU know how to use it??"
Yes.I.Do.Thank.You.  (I just choose not to...)  I actually had 2yrs of sewing lessons in my Jr High years (UGH! I did NOT enjoy following patterns, making seams line up in a patchwork quilt, lining up buttons & zippers in skirts & blouses - but with my Mom's insistence, I learned all of the basics - THANKS MOM!)
I digress,
I dug out my box of old 'Tailor Shop' thread, and the 1968 portable Singer Sewing machine that I had inherited when my Great Aunt L dispursed her home.  Needless to say, it had been at least 20yrs since it last seen the light of day. Closely following the Owner's Guide, I got the Bobbin wound, and the machine threaded.  After I overcame my fear, I flicked on the zig-zag switch, put my foot on the 'accelerator', and then the FUN BEGAN!
Because there was NO PATTERN, and I was solely making this for ME, and there was no Pressure for Perfection, I truly enjoyed this project
C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.L.Y. custom to my 6'-0" stature 
- extra long sleeves w/thumbhole (to keep my ever-cold hands toasty)
-LARGE pockets for keeping track of my cellphone
-long front, and longer back to allow me to comfortably wear leggings!
-a few decorative antique buttons from my Auburn Button Works stash
Ta Da!
After viewing the finished project, I had to laugh!   In my minds' eye, it is what I would envision MacKenzie Childs to produce - if they had a clothing line!!

What do you think?

enJOY!
be well

No comments: