Wednesday, July 23, 2008

...Clearing House?.


Does anybody else ever get to the point where they feel like the space they inhabit is some kind of a Bizarre 'Clearing House'?? By 'Clearing House', I mean the location for the storage, the accumulating, the sorting, the cleaning, the 'sprucing up', the packing, and FINALLY the dispersal O'Treasures!!! Lately I've been feeling this way. LUCKILY we have a GIGUNDOUS Attic (ie: 'S-studio')!! But still, it is almost kind of a relief to know that 'dispersal' time is approaching! Don't get me wrong... the hunting and gathering of goodies for 'College Bound Nieces', 'Birthdays', 'Goody boxes for adored Youngin's' and 'Christmas Stocking Stuffers' is some of the stuff that keeps me motivated to get out there on weekend mornings!!! Wednesday was dedicated to testing electrical appliances, washing, scrubbing and packing 'going away to college' goodies. Whew!The day was a 'sticky trap' into wistfulness. I found myself longing for those days of preparation for my own ventures away to college, the embarking on the unknown... the possibilities... the freedom...

Then I fell into the 'sticky trap' of reminiscing about my first apartments... Do you remember those days when you were just starting out on your own, and cost was THE #1 determining factor in ANY and EVERY purchase - and you needed EVERYTHING? When aesthetics and style had NO BOUNDARIES. A 'responsible interior' was something to be had 'when I get older'. The sheer eclectisism of those apartments - it still makes me smile. The freedom ...

I still have my 'quirky takes' on the interior style and the outdoor gardening at our house. I'm afraid that I must have 'got older' - now the 'design & character' of an item is a greater than or equal to factor with 'cost'.
<...sigh...>

1 comment:

Shara said...

Memories... my little 13" black and white TV with the rabbit ears sitting on a stack of cement blocks in the living room. Living on fried eggs and ramen noodles. Putting $5.00 worth of gas in the car and having it last TWO WEEKS (now, those were the good old days!) I loved my apratment!