Sunday, March 21, 2021

... 'K' is for

 

What is the story of Kokopelli?
There is another story from the Hopi Culture that talks about Kokopele being a hunchbacked member of the village who tricks the village beauty into having sex with him. Many believe that Kokopelli was more than a trader, and more significantly, an important conveyor of information and trinkets from afar.


For my 'personal Alphabet of Collections', 'K' was a deep dig.  Not a lot going on with 'K'!
This 'conveyor of information and trinkets from afar' gets the honor.

Numerous years ago, during the first of many visits to Arizona, I was 'introduced' to the image of Kokopelli.  A couple of trinkets with his image came home with me as souvenirs, and since then I often find them at sales... 'abandoned souvenirs of other peoples travels'.  NOT one of my many active collections (but I do have at least 3, so that makes it an official collection)!! I'm seldom inspired enough to rescue them and give them a new home, but they do bring back sweet memories.

It has become a joke with travel companions...  I seldom buy souvenirs during the trip (unless it I REALLY like it!!), because I know that I will find stuff on 'the cheap' at sales - and I get the added 'thrill of the hunt'.
Sometimes this method of souvenir acquisition has some added benefits!!
ex: Last summer, in accordance to 'social distancing guidelines', we went camping in Old Forge, NY.  We avoided the MANY souvenir shoppes, which didn't bother me in the least. 

Since then I have picked up a mug, sweatshirt and this vintage ashtray - for a grand total of under $1.00 !!
~The mug was used a couple of times & redonated.
~The sweatshirt was 'pre-shrunk' and 'worn-in', fitting Perfectly, and is now a 'go to' piece of my wardrobe.
~The ashtray, I did some research, and was easily able to find him a new home via eBay!!
The truly GREAT thing is that I never would have given this ashtray a second look if I hadn't been attracted to the 'OLD FORGE' souvenir aspect!!
Am I alone in this practice of 'souveniring' ? I'm curious - let me know in the comments!!

enJOY!
be well...

No comments: